Monday, June 30, 2008

Adult vs Family Vacations

My husband and I have spent plenty time bicycling and camping in conditions that would push the limits of most people's comfort and tolerance.

Sometimes it's seemed we've biked and camped more in the dark and on the edge of the seasons than any other time of day or year.

Rain, snow, dark and cold....all familiar conditions for bicycle touring and camping.

It wasn't always fun. But I enjoyed it enough that I was always willing to go again. I think my husband always enjoyed it more than I did.

Without kids I'd still be out there doing all kinds of things that I'm not up for with kids.

We've made some trips with the kids that haven't gone well.
That's my assessment, not necessarily my husbands. He wouldn't deny the adverse conditions we encountered, they just don't bother him as much.

For me it becomes too much work to be worth it.

If its just me I'm taking care of I can manage that and enjoy the accomplishment. But when I have to cope with whatever physical and emotional challenge the adventure has brought our way AND function as a parent in that same challenging context; responding to the physical, emotional and relational dynamics that implies, it pushes it past my limits of desirability. It's no longer a vacation. It's no longer much fun.

Did I mention that we haven't decided what we'll do for vacation this year?

No comments: