Friday, June 27, 2008

What We All Have in Common

What is it about food & meals & sharing food that makes you want to have everyone there when you have a feast and that makes food such an important part of some many things?

Its the one thing we all have in common.

This isn't my own insight. It was a gift from God. It was a gift from the Universe, a gift from and through my friend who was sharing supper with us.

It was something he was in sync enough to say
And I at the moment was in snyc enough to hear
And now I'm starting to understand so much more....
about my own experiences and about social & cultural dynamics and about religious ritual & meaning, and about why an open table is so important.

Wow, what a moment.

The moment didn't call for it, nor is my theology sorted out about it....
but in reflecting on that conversation at supper, it has felt like there's a way in which it would have been appropriate at that time for the bread to have been picked up and offered with the words, "the body of Christ..."

It is a good and joyful thing, always & everywhere to give thanks to God

No comments: